Opening a new restaurant sure as hell isn’t cheap so you’ll want to save as much money as possible. Buying used restaurant equipment is one way to go.
Restaurant equipment presents one of the bigger expenses when starting your own place. Everything from grills and fryers to hot tables and ovens is another expense.
Although used restaurant equipment can save you money it isn’t always safe to buy it like that.
That’s why we bring you this list of advantages and disadvantages so you can decide for yourself if it’s worth it or not.
Advantages of buying used restaurant equipment
- First of all, there is significant money saving because the value of the equipment drops the same moment it leaves the shop.
- Negotiating a lower price is always an option. If you’re a good negotiator you can have the kitchen up and running in no time and be paying pennies on a dollar for that matter.
- A lot of the times the used equipment looks almost brand new. That’s because of the fail rate of the newly opened restaurants. Many close within the first year of doing business and if you’re lucky you’ll find yourself a barely used equipment. Since the owner probably closed due to his poor business strategy he’ll be happy to get rid of the equipment and pay any possible debts, even for a lower price.
- Buying equipment like plates, glassware, and similar stuff is always a safe bet and can’t cause you a loss of money.
Disadvantages of buying used restaurant equipment
- Looks can deceive. That means you can buy a part of the equipment that looks completely fine and once you turn it on it just won’t work. That’s just a double expense since you’ll have to buy a new one or spend more money on fixing the existing one.
- There’s usually no warranty or if it exists it has nearly ended. So any later repairs will come out of your own pocket.
As you can see, the advantages of buying used restaurant equipment are quite worth the risk of a few parts malfunctioning later on.
To check out some of the used products offers, click here.